#1 Post by rebirther » 22.08.2007, 19:47

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/

Seite ist tot, keine Ahnung, um was es da geht :?:

Scheint was mit Astronomie zu sein.

WNj
BC-Member

Re: Milkyway@home

#2 Post by WNj » 24.08.2007, 21:48

rebirther wrote:http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/ Seite ist tot, keine Ahnung, um was es da geht :?: Scheint was mit Astronomie zu sein.
Kontoerstellung offen - wo ist Euer Team?
lebe Dein Leben so wie Du wenn Du stirbst wünschen wirst gelebt zu haben

rebirther
Admin

#3 Post by rebirther » 24.08.2007, 22:41

steht jetzt:
http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/tea ... p?teamid=8

bastle gerade noch an die letzten Einheiten des neuen Supermonsters E6750, von den Berechnungen her 3x so schnell wie ein P4 3,2 (mein alter) :D

WNj
BC-Member

#4 Post by WNj » 24.08.2007, 23:34

rebirther wrote:steht jetzt:
bastle gerade noch an die letzten Einheiten des neuen Supermonsters E6750, von den Berechnungen her 3x so schnell wie ein P4 3,2 (mein alter) :D
Hm, willst Du Dir nicht lieber ne PS3 besorgen? Würde sie mir dann gerne mal ausleihen, um wenigstens eine WU bei PS3grid zu crunchen.....

rebirther
Admin

#5 Post by rebirther » 25.08.2007, 00:13

WNj wrote:
rebirther wrote:steht jetzt:
Hm, willst Du Dir nicht lieber ne PS3 besorgen? Würde sie mir dann gerne mal ausleihen, um wenigstens eine WU bei PS3grid zu crunchen.....
Ich habe für meine kompletten Teile weniger bezahlt als die PS3 wert ist, und wie schon vorher gelesen, CPU Lüfter nicht mehr als 900U/min, bräuchte nur noch ein leises Netzteil :wink:

WNj
BC-Member

#6 Post by WNj » 27.08.2007, 23:29

mach mal bitte neu.....

rebirther
Admin

#7 Post by rebirther » 28.08.2007, 03:49

Was haben die denn da gemacht? Neue Datenbank?

Hier neues Team:
http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/tea ... p?teamid=5

rebirther
Admin

#8 Post by rebirther » 06.09.2007, 22:57

September 6, 2007
I notice there are some concerns about forums and the like, but unfortunately I'm the only person working on this project and I am only a college undergrad doing some research on the side. I appreciate your interest in this project, and also your commitment to keep things respectable while I am away. Currently I'm working on fixing some bugs in the actual program, and once I get something working I will add binaries for new platforms and update the web interface. Hopefully I can get everything running smoothly, and I hope to have project working correctly sometime this weekend or during next week. Once that is finished I will get right on top of web stuff. Thanks for your patients!!

rebirther
Admin

#9 Post by rebirther » 23.03.2008, 22:12

March 23, 2008 Reduced Granted Credit
Due to the fact that the application has been highly optimized in the last few versions, most people agree that the granted credit is way too high for the project by a factor of 3. We've scaled credit down to keep it in line with other projects, so if you notice reduced credit this is why.
Endlich, zurück zur ursprünglichen Vergabe.

rebirther
Admin

#10 Post by rebirther » 15.07.2008, 17:54

Aufgrund enormer Serverbelastungen wurden die WUs jetzt um etliche Std. verlängert.

rebirther
Admin

#11 Post by rebirther » 04.11.2008, 19:33

Credit Changes
November 3, 2008

After some discussion, we've decided to move the credit generated per workunit back to where it was, however reduce the maximum possible credit generated per hour in half -- this should keep our project in line with other BOINC projects, but not penalize people not running optimized apps. These changes should effect all newly generated work so it might take ahwile for everything to propagate out.
--Travis

rebirther
Admin

#12 Post by rebirther » 20.02.2009, 08:33

Optimierte MW-Apps findet man hier:

http://zslip.com/

rebirther
Admin

#13 Post by rebirther » 26.05.2009, 19:13

CUDA Update -- Working Compile Script
May 22, 2009
I've updated v0.04 to the code release directory. This should work correctly with the compile script. The next steps on our to-do list are getting checkpointing working correctly for it (i'm pretty sure its not working), and compile time specified single or double floating point precision. In the next couple days I should get the milkyway_gpu forums up and running and some test work units available.

rebirther
Admin

#14 Post by rebirther » 27.08.2009, 07:50

CUDA Application Released
August 26, 2009
The CUDA application has been released on BOINC, please see this thread for more information. The Milkyway@Home team appreciates your patience in reaching this milestone. This code has been implemented and tested on the GeForce GTX 285 donated by NVIDIA to the Milkyway@Home research team.

odicin

#15 Post by odicin » 01.04.2011, 18:33

1 Apr 2011 Milkyway@Home (separation) 0.56 is now available for iOS 4 devices!
Last edited by odicin on 02.04.2011, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

odicin

#16 Post by odicin » 02.04.2011, 16:26

War wohl auch eher ein Aprilscherz ;)

Gruß Odi

odicin

#17 Post by odicin » 14.07.2011, 23:22

We are therefore launching the following "thank you" and fundraising campaign. On September 1, 2011, we will run MilkyWay@home with double credit. Hopefully, this will at least make up for some of the credit lost when MilkyWay@home was not operational for software, hardware, or air conditioning emergencies. We understand that these have been frustrating to some users, but be assured that they were much more frustrating for us.

In addition, we will run MilkyWay@home with double credit for one additional day for every $500 raised between now and September 1, 2011.
Heißt es gibt für alle den ganzen 1. September bei Milkyway doppelte Credits, das ganze wird danach um je einen Tag für je 500/EUR Spende im Zeitraum zwischen heute und 1. September verlängert.

Gruß Odi

odicin

#18 Post by odicin » 19.07.2011, 01:02

It appears that I have made a mis-step in management of MilkyWay@Home, regarding double credits for fundraising. I believed that this had been done before. I have since discovered that not only I was incorrect, but it is also inconsistent with the BOINC credit system. As volunteers, you have donated enormous computational resources to my group, and on top of that have created a powerful community that not only helps us with software but also teaches us how to be responsible members of your community. We will be running double credit two days this week to make up for lost credit in the past, but we will not be running a double credit fundraiser in September. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. I will need a little time to understand what the right way is to do this, so stay tuned.
We'll be running two days of double-credits this week on Wednesday and Thursday to make up for outages earlier in the summer.
Heißt die Doppel-Credit Spendenaktion ist gecancelt, aber es gibt diese Woche Mittwoch und Donnerstag zwei Tage an denen, wegen der Ausfälle Anfang des Sommers, doppelte Credits vergeben werden.

Gruß Odi

odicin

Separation updated to 1.00

#19 Post by odicin » 08.02.2012, 18:29

I've updated all of the separation applications to 1.00. For changes people might care about,

- The old CAL version is gone; it's replaced with the OpenCL application. On AMD/ATI GPUs (older than 79xx) it is using some hackery to use the same IL kernel as before so it should be as fast. However this also means the Radeon 38xx cards aren't supported with new stuff.

- Radeon 79xx stuff should work

- The occasional validate errors from empty / truncated stderr should stop

- AVX will be used if available on Linux and Windows (64 bit only for Windows)

- I've increased the default GPU target frequency so GPU stuff should make things less laggy on average. You can now also configure this with the web preferences now so you don't need to use app_info stuff if you want to play with that.

- Partial workaround with high CPU usage with recent Nvidia drivers.*

* It should cut down on the CPU usage a bit while not sacrificing too much. I would recommend not using it unless you are very unhappy with the CPU usage on Nvidia. There are options to change the polling mode if you want to lower the CPU usage further while not slowing it down. (--gpu-wait-factor (default = 0.75) and --gpu-polling-mode (default = - 2) work similarly to how they did with the old CAL one, but slightly different). With the default of -2 it will use mode -1 unless it is an Nvidia driver newer than the one that introduced the high CPU issue, where it will use mode 0. Mode -1 uses the correct waiting method, mode 0 use the correct waiting method with an initial sleep based on time estimates, and modes > 0 are a polling period in milliseconds. The wait factor is a sort of correction of the time estimate used for the initial wait. The default is 0.75, to wait for 75% of the estimated time before trying to poll.
In diesem Zusammenhang gibt es in den Prefs nun auch endlich die Möglichkeit zwischen Separation und Nbody auszuwählen. Die Nutzung der app_info ist daher nicht mehr nötig.

Die OpenCL Tasks können auch auf BOINC Clients 6.12.X gerechnet werden, obwohl diese Version die OpenCL Erkennung noch nicht unterstützt.

Gruß Odi

odicin

Re: Milkyway@home

#20 Post by odicin » 14.06.2023, 06:24

Update zu Milkyway@home. Sobald die Berechnungen für die Separation App abgeschlossen sind wird es nur noch die NBody App geben. Diese wird aufgrund der Komplexität der notwendigen Änderungen bei jedem App-Update nicht auf GPU portiert, da es auch sonst nur wenig Geschindigkeitsvorteile geben würde. Daher gibt es bei Milkyway zukünftig nur noch eine CPU only App.

Gruß Odi
Separation Project Coming To An End
Dear Volunteers,

We are beginning to sunset the Separation project (note that this is different from the N-Body project, which still needs your help!!!). Thanks to your computational contributions, we have completed the goals that we set out to accomplish with this the project, so we are going to shut down the Separation project in the near future. We are planning on submitting a paper containing the final results of the Separation project to an academic journal in the near future. It is possible that the reviewer may request revisions that involve re-running Separation data, in which case we might bring it back for a short time, but until that happens we do not need your computer time for this. We would like to sincerely thank you for all the time and effort that you spent helping us complete this substantial task. We owe the success of the project to you all.

With this announcement comes a few updates to MilkyWay@home: MilkyWay@home will continue to exist, but only as the Nbody project. Because of the complexity of running Nbody tree codes on GPUs, there is little speed-up from running Nbody on a GPU compared to an equivalent CPU. Although we did beta-test a full GPU Nbody application, we have decided not to deploy it due to concerns over maintaining its support; among other issues, supporting GPU Nbody would require changing the GPU code every time the CPU code is updated, and making sure every change is tested and works identically on both platforms. Since we are actively working on extensions of the Nbody code that include such things as the effects of the Large Magellanic Cloud's gravity and the consequences of self-interacting dark matter on the formation of tidal streams, this parallel support would be difficult. So, when Separation shuts down, we will be ending GPU support for MilkyWay@home. This will have the greatest impact on people who crunch lots of Separation work units on high-end GPUs; these users can expect to earn a much lower amount of credit per time than they did before. If you contribute only CPU cycles, your ability to earn credit will be unaffected. We still want as many people to contribute CPU time to MilkyWay@home as possible! However, we understand that if your goal is to use GPUs to obtain a large amount of credit quickly, there are more efficient ways to do this and other projects that can better use your resources.

We would appreciate your input on this because we expect that it will probably take some time for GPU-oriented users to swap that hardware over to different projects. How long would you like us to wait before we shut down Separation?

Again, thank you so much for letting us use your processors! They have not only increased our knowledge of the Milky Way galaxy that we live in, but they have also contributed to five PhD theses and trained dozens of undergraduate students to build and maintain large and complex computing systems. These students and I thank you for your contributions. We will be posting the results of the final Separation project results probably later this year, after they have gone through the peer review process (which takes about six months on average, with wide variability).

Best,
Tom & Prof. Newberg