BRaTS@Home - beendet

Beendet
rebirther
Admin

BRaTS@Home - beendet

#1 Post by rebirther » 09.06.2007, 22:09

Last edited by rebirther on 12.09.2010, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.

rebirther
Admin

#2 Post by rebirther » 02.02.2008, 14:44

2008-02-01: BRaTS@Home - Back Online and Upgraded
After an unannounced firewall change, BRaTS@Home is back online. I took the forced hiatus as an opportunity to upgrade to the new BOINC server. In fact you may have seen some changes already. You can read about these changes in this post. Next step is to upgrade the science app to the new API. That I will start (and hopefully finish) Monday. Thanks, David.
Mal wieder ein Lebenszeichen.

rebirther
Admin

#3 Post by rebirther » 23.10.2008, 21:42

2008-10-23: BRaTS@Home - SSL
As I mentioned in the message boards earlier, I am setting up SSL to be used the login processes of the project. With this added, passwords will no longer be sent as plain text, as is the default process with BOINC projects. I am working on this today and will update in the message board if/when something changes. There shouldn't be a loss of login ability (aside from possiblly for a minute or two).

rebirther
Admin

#4 Post by rebirther » 27.03.2010, 05:38

During the last couple of months, I have been finishing and revising my dissertation. This work includes data produced by this BOINC project, as well as data from another computational method. I have one section of the dissertation for this project, describing how it works and what the outcome has been. After I am finished, it has been approved by my committee, and the university deals with its publication/printing processes, I will post it online (which the university does as well) and you can view a description of what the project does and some images produced by the calculations your computers have performed! In addition to data tables and plots, in the introduction, I made images to demonstrate and explain gravitational lensing. These images were produced using BRaTS@Home ray-tracing. These images combine data sets from multiple computers and users, which is the advantage of using BOINC for this work. So if you have been granted credit, when you view an image that I produced, it is likely your computer contributed to part of that, based on the way I distributed the workload and the number of simulations I use. Certainly, everyone contributed to the overall result.

What does this mean for the future of the project? I will defend this dissertation on April 9th. After revisions I may make based upon suggestions of the committee, I will officially be finished. Unfortunately, that means this project will come to an end. Since I have enjoyed running this project and would like to keep a record of it and the all of the participants, I will mirror* this site at http://research.davecoss.com/brats/ , which is a site I have used as a second place to find the project status. Then once the university shuts down my server, the webpage will still be available, including message posts, profiles and of course credit listings and rankings. However, that should not happen until either the end of April or beginning of May. I will post updates about that in the future.

*Just so you know, I will mirror only the HTML content and BOINC credit. As far as user information is concerned, only the user names in the message board will be retained. Everything else will be removed. I have no desire to keep personal information, such as email address and account keys(!), or maintain the security that information like that requires. So you can be assured nothing but your BOINC user name, which also appears on this message board, will be carried over. IF you want that removed too, email or PM me and I will replace your name with "Anonymous" (or something else if you prefer). That is no problem.
Das Ende wurde angekündigt, am 09.04. soll definitiv Schluss sein.